5 Dangerous Halloween Candies for Pets

Posted on October 28, 2016 under Cat Topics, Dog Topics

Halloween is associated with spooky haunted houses, costume parties and most of all, Halloween candy! Certain types of candy can be toxic and very dangerous to pets. Below are are five dangerous Halloween candies for dogs and cats.

Halloween candy that is bad for dogs and cats.” class=

1. Candy Corn & Other High Sugar Candy

Candies that are made with pure sugar can cause severe gas and diarrhea. The sugar not only provides a great source of food for gut bacteria to indulge on, it can also pull water into the colon and cause a bad case of diarrhea.

Candy corn is bad for dogs and cats.” class=

2. Chocolate Covered Raisins

These tasty treats combine two potentially deadly ingredients in dogs and cats. Chocolate is toxic to pets and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. Raisins (and other grape products) can cause severe kidney failure. The two of these combined is the ultimate toxic nightmare for pets. If your pet eats any chocolate covered raisins this Halloween, he needs to be taken to your veterinarian immediately for treatment.

Chocolate covered raisins are bad for pets.” class=

3. Candy with Wrappers

When dogs get into the candy bowl, they don’t usually bother to unwrap the treats first. Plastic and foil wrappers pose a health risk since they can cause an obstruction in the intestines and irritate the lining of the GI tract. Sometimes, pets can pass the wrappers without a problem, but it is best to keep all wrapped treats away from pets just in case.

candy with wrappers are bad for pets.” class=

4. Bite-size Hard Candy

Hard candy often has a delicious taste to dogs. These treats pose a major choking hazard for pets. Hard candy becomes slippery when mixed with saliva, and it can easily be inhaled into the trachea (wind pipe) which can cause choking. Be sure to keep these candies away from dogs and cats.

Hard candy can be a choking hazard to pets.” class=

5. Sugar-Free Gum

This type of gum may contain Xylitol, a sugar-substitute. Xylitol is perfectly safe in people, but it can be deadly if ingested by a dog or cat. Xylitol causes a very severe drop in blood sugar that can happen within minutes after ingestion. Pets may become lethargic, unable to walk and start having seizures. If they survive the initial symptoms, they often will have severe liver damage and potentially fatal liver failure. This is the most dangerous type of Halloween candy for pets.

Sugar-free gum and candies are toxic to pets.” class=

Keep your pet safe this Halloween by keeping all of your Halloween treats in a safe, secure place.

By Dr. Eva Evans, a veterinarian and writer for Pets Best. Founded in 2005, Pets Best offers pet health insurance plans for dogs and cats across the U.S. since 2005.

Top