Pet health: Common foods that are toxic to dogs
Posted on November 9, 2010 under Pet Health & Safety
Foods that people love to eat can be extremely toxic to dogs and can compromise pet health if left untreated.
With the holidays approaching, it’s important to keep an eye out for these toxic foods and make sure that your dog does not have access to them.
It’s also a good idea to have a pet insurance plan for your dog, should any unexpected emergency situations arise. Having dog insurance can diminish the costs of expenses pet owners are unprepared for.
According to Ahna Brutlag, DVM, assistant director at Pet Poison Helpline, chocolate is one of the most problematic toxins. Dogs and cats cannot metabolize it as well as humans. Keep all types of chocolate—especially baking chocolate and other toxic foods—out of your dog’s reach. It can save you and your dog an emergency trip to the vet.
Chocolate poses a risk to dogs due the chemical theobromide. Symptoms associated with the ingestion of chocolate can include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, abnormal heart rhythm, and seizures. If a dog ingests any amount of chocolate, you should call your vet immediately.
Grapes and raisins are other foods that people love, but can also be toxic to dogs. Although unusual, ingesting these foods can cause kidney damage that may lead to kidney failure. Symptoms of raisin or grape poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, changes in the amount of urine passed or not passing any urine.