10 Cat Household Poisons
Posted on March 16, 2016 under Cat Topics
By Dr. Eva Evans, a veterinarian and writer for Pets Best, a nationwide pet insurance agency for dogs and cats founded in 2005.
These common items may be found in or around your house and they can make your cat very ill, many are toxic. So keep cats safe, by keeping these potential poisons away.
1. Rat Poison
Also known as Rodenticide, this toxic substance inhibits Vitamin K and causes severe and potentially fatal internal bleeding if not treated.
Perhaps the most common deadly house plant for cats. Cats that eat any part of the plant and even drink the water from the lily vase can develop fatal kidney failure if not caught early and treated aggressively.
This recreational drug can cause profound effects in cats including hallucination, muscle tremors, depression and difficulty breathing.
Chocolate contains caffeine which is toxic to cats. Cats are more sensitive to caffeine (also found in coffee, tea, caffeine pills and energy drinks) than dogs. Cats may have tremors, seizures, coma and death from consumption of chocolate and other caffeine containing products.
This anti-inflammatory can cause the same kidney and stomach problems as Ibuprofen. However, it is an anti-coagulant which means that it prevents platelets from clotting. This can cause internal bleeding in cats. There are rare circumstances in which Aspirin may be useful in ultra-low doses, but do not give Aspirin to your cat unless specifically prescribed by your veterinarian.
This human anti-inflammatory (i.e. Advil) can cause severe damage to the kidneys, liver and GI tract of cats. Ibuprofen can cause severe bleeding ulcers which can make cats anemic and these cats may require a blood transfusion. Cats are especially sensitive to Ibuprofen and should never be given this drug.
Download a PDF of the postcard: Keep cats safe by sharing this with friends! Click here for a PDF version of the “10 Cat Household Poisons” that can you print or email.
Cats lack the ability to metabolize acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol) well which leads to severe and potentially fatal anemia. When this happens, cats experience respiratory distress, swelling the face and paws, vomiting and hypothermia followed by death.
8. Sago Palm
This southwest desert ornamental palm is extremely toxic to cats and dogs. Ingesting even a small amount can cause liver failure, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and death.
The outer layer of the bulb is the most toxic part of this beautiful holiday plant. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and liver damage.
10. English Ivy
While the toxicity of this plant is mild, it can cause discomfort in the mouth and throat if the berries and leaves are eaten by cats.
If you suspect your cat has been exposed to, or ingested, any of the above items, call your veterinarian immediately. If your veterinarian’s office is closed, call the nearest emergency vet clinic. They can help you determine the next best steps, possibly including bring your cat in for emergency treatment.
Protect Your Cat with Pet Insurance!
Get a Quick, Free Quote Online
or Call Pets Best at 877-738-7237