While chocolate can be a delectable treat for humans, it should be kept out of the reach of dogs, as it may be detrimental to their health.
NBC reporter Maria Menounos found this out the hard way when 12 days after Christmas, she noticed her dog Baby was acting strangely, according to PeoplePets.com.
"I rushed her to the hospital where she threw up four more times after she was given charcoal to ensure she would clean herself out," Menounos told the news provider.
The veterinarian told Menounos that her beloved dog had consumed some chocolate, which can cause severe harm to dog health.
After searching around her apartment, Menounos discovered five opened wrappers of dark chocolate near her Christmas tree.
Although the cost of nursing Baby back to health was steep, Menounos exclaimed she would pay almost any price, saying "our pets are like family members."
According to DogOwnersDigest.com, chocolate can ultimately be lethal to dogs, with baking chocolate being the deadliest. One ounce of baker’s chocolate could potentially kill a 10-pound dog.