Help Keep Dogs Safe by Sharing This With Friends!
Click here for a printable version of the “20 Foods” and keep a copy on your fridge.
To Share on Your Site:
20 Foods Dogs Should Never Eat
These can make your dog very ill, many are toxic
1. Alcohol – Causes weakness, vomiting, dangerously low blood pressure, coma and death in pets.
2. Apple, Apricot, Cherry and Plum Seeds/Pits – These pits contain cyanide which can cause vomiting, irregular and fast heartbeat, seizures, coma and death due to the inability of red blood cells to properly carry oxygen to cells.
3. Avocado – Contains Persin, a toxic compound that causes vomiting and diarrhea.
4. Broccoli – Contains isothiocyanate which can be harmful to pets in very large doses.
5. Caffeine – Contains methylxanthines which can cause potentially fatal diarrhea, vomiting, seizures and irregular heart beats.
6. Chives – Can cause potentially fatal anemia in dogs (and cats).
7. Chocolate – Contains methylxanthines which can cause potentially fatal diarrhea, vomiting, seizures and irregular heart beats.
8. Garlic – Can cause potentially fatal anemia in dogs (and cats).
9. Grapes and Raisins – Can cause severe and potentially fatal kidney failure.
10. Ham – May cause pancreatitis, a potentially fatal disease, due to high fat content.
11. Macadamia Nuts – Contains an unidentified toxin that can cause vomiting, weakness, joint pain and inflammation.
12. Milk & Dairy Products – May cause diarrhea and gas in adult animals who are lactose intolerant.
13. Mushrooms – Many types contain many different toxins that may cause kidney and liver failure, vomiting, diarrhea, hallucination and damage to red blood cells.
14. Nutmeg – May cause hallucinations and severe vomiting.
15. Onions – Causes potentially fatal oxidation of red blood cells leading to their destruction and causing anemia.
16. Salt – Excessive amounts of salt can cause a change in the fluid balance of cells thus causing tremors, seizures and coma (this includes rock salt and homemade playdough).
17. Spicy Food – Extra heat added to a dish could potentially cause vomiting, stomach ulcers or diarrhea.
18. Sugar-Free Gum & Candy (Xylitol) – Causes a potentially fatal drop in blood glucose (blood sugar) followed by severe liver damage.
19. Tobacco – Nicotine containing products can cause excitement, vomiting and tremors that are usually followed by fatal paralysis.
20. Yeast Dough – Yeast in the raw dough can cause an excess buildup of gas in a pet’s stomach causing severe pain and potential life threatening torsion or rupture of the stomach.
By Dr. Eva Evans, a veterinarian and writer for Pets Best, a pet insurance agency.
Protect Your Pup with Pet Insurance
Get a Quick, Free Quote Online
or Call Pets Best at 877-738-7237