10 Tips for Allergies to Your Pet
Posted on April 5, 2016 under Pet Health & Safety
By Pets Best, a U.S. pet insurance agency for dogs and cats, founded in 2005.
Spring is in the air and so is allergy-inducing pet dander!
Many people suffer from mild-to-moderate allergies throughout the year, and spring can be a whopper, especially for animal lovers.
As our immune system tries to deal with budding trees, blooming flowers, and growing grass, our pets also start shedding more. For some of us, this gives our immune system an even bigger workout.
If you’re allergic to dogs and cats, here are some tips to help alleviate your allergies to them:
1. Your doctor can prescribe antihistamines, nasal sprays, and asthma inhalers.
2. Over-the-counter antihistamines may also prove beneficial.
3. Regular grooming and bathing of your pet will help reduce shedding and dander.
4. Pet stores sell pre-packaged wet wipes made especially to quickly bathe your dog or cat and reduce dander.
5. Amp up the dusting, vaccuming, and mopping efforts in your home.
6. Air purifiers and air conditioners help clean the air in the home.
7. Wash your hands regularly and avoid touching your face or eyes if you were just petting a dog or cat.
8. Scoop litter boxes daily, as allergy-inducing proteins can also be shed there.
9. Resist the urge to let your pets sleep with you in bed. If they must, then look into allergy-reducing mattress and pillow covers.
10. When looking into getting a pet, some people with severe allergies and/or asthma opt for more “hypoallergenic” dog and cats. Dogs such as the Maltese, Bichon Frise’, and Portuguese Water Dog; and cats such as the Balinese and Sphynx are considered among these. You can find more information on “hypoallergenic” cat breeds here.
If your allergies make you miserable, imagine how they can make your pet feel! Watch for allergies in your own pets. Excessive licking, paw biting, ear scratching, head shaking, and hair loss are all signs that your pet is suffering from allergies, too.
These symptoms are a common reason pet parents seek veterinary attention; and pet allergies are one of the most common pet insurance claims Pets Best receives.
Our Best Content, Delivered Monthly