Pet owners may find it hard to resist throwing their salivating pal a bone from the dinner scraps, but the Food and Drug Administration says it’s bad for pets’ health— and a potentially life-threatening treat.
The FDA issued a warning to pet owners mid April 2010 to dispose of bones rather than toss them to their dogs, the Washington Post reported.
“Some people think it’s safe to give dogs large bones, like those from a ham or a roast, “ Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian from the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA told the news provider. “Bones are unsafe no matter what their size.”
The reasons the FDA highlighted for not giving your four-legged-friend a bone included: broken teeth, mouth or tongue injuries, bone pieces becoming lodged in a dog’s throat or stomach, constipation, and even worse, it could be deadly.
According to the Washington Post, giving your dog a real bone could cause a bacterial infection in the lining of the abdominal wall called peritonitis, which left untreated, could be dire to the dogs’ health.
The FDA told the news provider that swift action must be taken if a bacterial infection is suspected after ingestion of an animal bone.
“Your dog [would need] an emergency visit to your veterinarian,” the FDA source told the Washington Post.
To keep dogs in prime health, pet owners should only give their pets food and treats specifically manufactured for dogs, such as dog biscuits or Nylabones.
For more information about better treat options, and how to keep your dog in optimal health, talk with your veterinarian.