Cat’s death may have saved owner’s life
Posted on March 30, 2010 under Pet Health & Safety
Jackson and his wife noticed that Peaches’ cat health was deteriorating when the pet stopped eating and began breathing irregularly.
Unfortunately, the Jacksons had to make the painful decision to have Peaches euthanized, according to PeoplePets.com.
But instead, on the way to the vet, the beloved feline died in Jackson’s arms.
After Jackson requested an autopsy, veterinarians discovered that Peaches had a large tumor resulting from malignant mesothelioma, a rare cancer caused by asbestos exposure.
Although medical tests later revealed that Jackson’s wife was healthy, Jackson was diagnosed with cancer on his left lung. While doctors determined that this was not necessarily related to the asbestos problem, Jackson claims that had Peaches not received an autopsy, he would never have checked on his own health.
"She saved my life," Jackson said, "If it wasn’t for Peaches, I probably wouldn’t be here."