Hi, I’m Dr. Fiona Caldwell, and today I’m going to show you some medical supplies that you should have on hand for your dog or cat.
This is Easy. Easy is a 12-week-old Golden Retriever, and she’s going to help me do some demos on some things that you should have if you adopt or get a new pet. So, a couple of things that you want to have on hand.
1. Grooming tools are essential, especially for a Golden Retriever. Having some type of a brush, either bristled or a wire-type brush is going to be really important to keep the coat good.
2. Having a toenail trimmer, really important, you want to start young, too. If you have a puppy, now is the time to get them used to you touching the feet.
3. Another essential thing that you’ll want to have on hand is some type of toothbrush or finger brush that’s meant for keeping the mouth and the teeth healthy.
4. It’s a good idea to have a thermometer that’s only used for your pets. Most of the time, thermometers need to be used rectally on pets, so you want to make sure that you have a thermometer that’s set aside just for your pets so that it’s not used for anything else.
5. Dog toothpaste is important. Dogs can’t have our toothpaste, and so, making sure that you’ve got something that’s meant for dogs is a good idea.
6. It’s a great idea to have an extra leash on hand. Slip leashes are really fantastic because you can just slip it over the head if there’s not a collar. It’s a great backup to have.
7. For first aid, it’s a good idea to have just regular bandaging material. This is all human stuff. It doesn’t have to be special pet stuff. Tape can be useful. Be sure to have clean towels and that type of thing on hand. Hydrogen peroxide is wonderful for cleaning wounds. You can use triple antibiotic on pets’ wounds, as well, if they’re small and don’t require veterinary attention.
8. I think it’s a good idea to have gloves. Puppies, especially, can be kind of gross sometimes, so having gloves on hand will make cleanups a little bit easier.
9. The last thing I think it’s a good idea to at least learn how to use is a muzzle. Knowing how to use a muzzle is useful since an injured or hurting pet sometimes will act unpredictably. Muzzles always go with the large portion underneath and the short part on top. This is obviously way too big for Easy, but I just wanted to show you how it would go. It would go like this, and then this part goes behind the head. That’s way too big for you, huh?
So, that gives you an idea of some things that you should have on hand when you get your new pet.