Your pet’s safety should be one of your top priorities. Did you know that there could be pet health dangers lurking in your home?
Another reason pet insurance is a good idea: according to the Pet Poison Helpline, there are several household toxins that you should be aware of to protect your pet.
Keep pet health a priority by keeping household toxins out of the reach of your pets. Here is a list of some common household items that are potentially poisonous to pets.
1. Human medications: Ingestion of human medications can be avoided by ensuring that the medication is kept out of the reach of pets. Human medications should never be given to pets.
2. Other pets’ medications: Pets should never be given medications prescribed for other pets. Dog flea and tick preventatives should never be used on cats as they can be fatal.
3. Household cleaners: Use caution when using chemicals and cleaners around your pets. Make sure pets are not near you when using these products. Keep toilet lids closed, especially if you use an automatic toilet bowl cleaner.
4. Rat & mouse poison: Avoid using rodenticides near pets. The toxins that are fatal to rodents can be fatal to your pets as well. Use live traps as a kinder and safer alternative.
5. Household plants: Avoid having household plants that are toxic to pets. Cats enjoy chewing on plants and can be easily poisoned by toxic plants.
Ingestion of any of these toxins is considered a medical emergency. If you think your pet may have ingested a toxic substance, call the Pet Poison Helpline poison control center at 800-213-6680 and contact your veterinarian immediately.Tags: cat health, dog health, pet health, Pet Insurance, toxic to pets