Although some individuals may take prescription drugs to help them in their daily lives, pet owners should keep their medications away from their animals, as some pills can be extremely dangerous.
Cats have a tendency to be attracted to Adderall, which is a common drug that is used to treat ADHD, according to Science News. This attraction can be fatal to cats, and it is recommended that animal owners keep the drug from their felines’ reach.
Additionally, dogs who consume Ibuprofen have a chance of fatality as the human drugs could lead to kidney failures or ulcers. Some scientists claim that by the time the side effects occur, the canine may already be in poor dog health.
"Unlike Adderall, where cats will develop symptoms within hours, ibuprofen’s damage can take two to three days before it becomes clinically apparent," Sharon Gwaltney-Brant, a board certified veterinary toxicologist, told the news provider. "So if we wait for symptoms, some pretty bad stuff may already have occurred."
According to PetPlace.com, pet owners who see their animals ingesting human medication should attempt to induce vomiting.
One of the world’s most renowned dogsled races, the Iditarod, has been underway since March 6 in Alaska, as sledding teams travel more than 1,150 miles in 10 to 17 days.
One sled team lost a member when 3-year-old Whitey-Lance got loose from his harness and was nowhere in sight, according to the Boston Herald. Musher Justin Savidis was eager to find the canine, worried about the dog’s health in the subzero weather.
Whitey-Lance was missing for four days until residents of McGrath, Alaska, tracked him down by luring him with a salmon carcass. Although the pup was confused by his surroundings at first, he eventually recognized his owner.
"He was a little startled by my goggles," Savidis told the news provider. "I said, ‘Hey, Whitey’ and he was like, ‘Ah, I remember you.’"
Although the pup suffered from minor injuries and was noticeably thinner, local veterinarians deemed him in overall good dog health. Savidis told the news provider that he was happy that his dog was found safe and that they plan on racing again next year.
During a difficult rescue, police officers were able to pull a dog out of the Chicago River after she wandered into the water.
Elle, a German Shepherd and Yellow Labrador mix, was seen by bystanders struggling in the river, according to Chicago’s CBS affiliate, WBBM. The Chicago Police Marine Unit arrived on scene to assess the situation, which was growing increasingly dangerous for Elle.
"When we arrived, the dog went under," police officer Mark Jaeger told the news provider. "It had lost its function and had gone under, came back up, went under a second time, and as it came up to the surface, we had two divers ready who were able to grab the dog before it went under for its last time and brought it safely back onto the police boat."
When police pulled her from the river, Elle coughed up fluid and was shivering. But once the dog was reunited with her owner, she was in good dog health and returned home.
While it may be a dog eat dog world out there, one jeweler was not expecting his Golden Retriever to eat a three-carat diamond.
George Kaufman, the co-owner of Robert Bernard Jewelry, brought his pet Golden Retriever, Soli, to the store as usual one day in January, according to the New York Daily News. Kaufman was examining a three-carat stone that was brought in by a diamond dealer when he accidently dropped the jewel.
Kaufman and his partner, Robert Rosin, watched helplessly as Soli ran over to the gem and swallowed it. The jewelers quickly bought the dog to the local veterinarian to find out what they could do to retrieve the stone.
"The dealer saw him eat it," Rosin told Gazette.net. "We said, What do we do? Get an X-ray? Call the vet?"
The vet told the men to ensure that nothing would happen to jeopardize the dog’s health, they should just wait for the gem to pass naturally. Both Kaufman and Rosin breathed a sigh of relief when the gem reappeared three days later.
Animal control officers put a stop to an illegal kennel in Lakeside, California, when they discovered 63 dogs living in crates in a two-bedroom home.
The majority of the canines were in poor dog health as a result of neglect and unfit conditions, according to 760KFMB.com. The dogs were taken to the county animal shelter where veterinarians went to work treating the pups for their numerous medical problems before they’re to be put up for adoption.
According to USA Today, when animal control officers arrived at the scene, they saw that a number of cages had feces and three-day old vomit in them.
After spending 23 hours in a cage a day, the dogs are relishing in their pampering, and animal control officers are hopeful that they can go on to have better lives after the traumatic experience.
"There is a tremendous amount of hope," Lt. Dan Desouza told KFMB. "The public is going to have to step up and say yeah, I can take one of these dogs home and give it a loving home."