Books and Barks Contest
Every year, Pets Best recognizes veterinarians that go above and beyond with cash prizes and a trip to the Western Veterinary Conference. Tell us your story about why your vets the best, and help them continue providing for pets and pet owners.
"Many people are unaware of therapy dogs and the good that they do for the community, and I hope this contest shines a light on therapy dogs, their handlers, and their accomplishments."
- Chris Grimaldi, Sydney’s owner/handler
In 2014, Pets Best Pet Health Insurance developed the Books & Barks contest to promote the benefits associated with utilizing therapy dogs to assist students in reading programs. The contest celebrates and brings awareness to the inspirational work of therapy dogs in classrooms and libraries across the nation.
Nominating A Therapy Dog
Our online form makes it easy for you to nominate your favorite therapy dog. Your story doesn’t have to be long, but it should include your experience with therapy dogs in an educational setting. Whether you’re a student who personally benefitted from a certain therapy dog, a teacher who witnessed overall classroom improvement, or a therapy dog handler, please share your stories with us!
You can nominate a therapy dog any time. However, if you nominate a therapy dog and they don’t make it into the finalist round, you will need to nominate them again to be considered for the next year’s contest.
How it Works
When voting is open, you can vote on the Pets Best Facebook page. The therapy dog with the most votes at the end of the contest week, will be announced the winner on the Pets Best Facebook page.
Prizes and Awards
- Grand Prize Winner: A trip for 2 to the Western Veterinary Conference
- $1,000 to treat needy pets: Each winning veterinarian and the Grand Prize Winner
- $200 prize: Each nominator with a winning story
- All nominated veterinarians get: A printed certificate of recognition, official contest seal for your website, and a window cling contest seal.
How Many Veterinarians Win?
Three times per year, a Pets Best committee of veterinarians and technicians selects 8 finalists from the hundreds of nominees. The public then votes to choose the winner.
In addition, at the end of the year, a panel of veterinary peers will choose a Grand Prize Winner from the pool of finalists from that year.
Stay in the Know
Nominate your vet and be the first to hear finalist and winner announcements by liking the Pets Best Facebook page
Learn more about past Books & Barks winners here:
The"My Vets the Best"Contest.
- Do you have an outstanding veterinarian? Tell us about them!
- To learn more about this contest please visit My Vets the Best
The “Why I Love Being a Vet Tech” Contest.
- Do you love your work as a veterinary technician? Tell us about it!
- To learn more about this contest please visit Why I Love Being a Vet Tech