Dr. Jack Stephens, President and Founder of Pets Best Insurance, is the veterinarian who launched pet insurance in the U.S. over 30 years ago.
Many people don’t think cats have as many medical problems as dogs, especially if they live indoors. Because of this misconception, people tend to get pet health insurance for their outdoor cats and dogs, but not for indoor cats.
Indoor cats still incur serious and expensive cat health care problems.
3 Common Reasons for Indoor Cat Vet Visits
1. Curious cats can get into trouble while playing with items in your home. Ribbons, yarn and string can cause internal blockages and often require surgery to remove.
2. Dozens of indoor plants are toxic to cats, and ingesting them can cause upset stomachs, heart collapse, kidney failure and even death.
3. Many food items you have around the house can cause serious damage or be fatal to your cat. Examples include: raisins, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol and uncooked dough.
When these things happen, cat owners often don’t realize that the veterinary cost can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars without the help of pet insurance.
5 Reasons You Need Pet Insurance For Your Indoor Cat
1. Cats are good at hiding symptoms: Cats are more sedentary by nature, which mean that cat owners are not as likely to notice symptoms their kitties might be displaying.
2. Indoor cats are still at risk: Common health problems for all cats include- cystitis, digestive upsets, cancer, diabetes, thyroid disease, leukemia, kidney failure and even heart disease. Thousands of medical conditions can occur in indoor cats.
3. The cost of treating cats is just as expensive as other animals: Cats tend to have fewer veterinary visits overall, but when they do have an illness or injury, the veterinarian costs can still be in the hundreds to thousands.
4. Pet insurance coverage is cost effective for cats. Pets Best Insurance Feline Illness plans start at just $4 per month and offer the same coverage no matter the age of the cat.
5. Pet insurance increases spending power: Pet owners who have insurance for indoor cats will be able to afford nearly five times the veterinary care than those who don’t. Veterinary medical advances have given far more treatment options than ever before, but these often come with a high price tag. At Pets Best Insurance, you can choose a reimbursement level up to 100% of the veterinary bill.
Overall, cat insurance allows pet owners to budget for their cats’ health care and provides peace of mind in the case of pet health emergencies and unexpected illnesses.
Consider protecting your cat’s health and your pocketbook with pet insurance.
Or Call 877-738-7237 to Add a Pet to Your Current Policy
Article originally published in June 2010; updated and republished February 2013.Tags: cat health insurance, insurance for cats, pet insurance, pet insurance for indoor cats, pet medical insurance