Top 3 Reasons You May Need Dog Liability Insurance
Posted on March 7, 2013 under Dog Topics
Every month, we get a number of requests from people looking for pet liability insurance. Some pet owners aren’t sure how that differs from what we offer, so here’s a quick comparison:
• Pets Best Insurance plans help pay the vet bills when your pet is sick or injured.
• Pet liability insurance, sometimes called “dog bite insurance”, protects the pet owner in case their dog injures a non-direct family member.
Both types of insurance can provide peace of mind and financial assistance, and pet health insurance is a great idea for all pets, regardless of age or breed. But what about liability insurance? Here are the top 3 reasons you may need it:
1. Your dog has a history of injuring people, even accidentally
Dog liability insurance can provide coverage in case someone is bitten, scratched, knocked over, or otherwise injured by your dog.
2. Your homeowners insurance excludes your dog’s breed
While most homeowners and renters insurance policies include animal liability, according to XINSURANCE, most of those plans also have breed restrictions. The breeds most commonly excluded from coverage are: bully breeds, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds and Akitas.
Even if your dog isn’t on that list, double-check with your insurance provider to ensure you would be covered if your dog caused injury.
3. Your landlord or state law requires it
If your landlord requires liability insurance, you’ll usually have to provide proof of insurance before signing a lease or moving in. Your landlord will need to be added as an insured party.
If your state requires liability insurance, you may not to have carry proof. But if your dog injures someone, you’ll be personally responsible for related medical and legal bills, in addition to fines and other legal ramifications of not having been insured.