Top 12 ways to celebrate National Puppy Day!
By: Dr. Fiona Caldwell
Idaho Veterinary Hospital
For Pets Best Insurance
Animal lovers and pet health insurance enthusiasts everywhere can celebrate March 23rd, which is the sixth annual National Puppy Day, by adopting one of the many homeless puppies currently at your local animal shelter! This unofficial national holiday is designed to encourage us to consider adopting from shelters, rather than buying from pet stores or puppy mills.
If you’re not in the market for a new dog, or if you already have a canine family member, there are still plenty of ways you can help honor this holiday.
Here are 12 ways you can celebrate National Puppy Day:
1. Visit your local animal shelter and consider opening your home to an animal in need.
2. Volunteer at the local shelter, helping with paperwork, walking or grooming the animals, or helping with cleaning the kennels and runs.
3. Make a donation to the animal shelter in your dog’s name.
4. Give your unused or old towels and blankets to the shelter for the animals to use.
5. Consider getting your dog the gift of pet health insurance.
6. Help to raise awareness about the negative aspects of pet store purchases and puppy mills by posting to social media sites like facebook.
7. Treat the dog you have at home like a king or queen for the day.
8. Have an impromptu photo shoot with your dog.
Or Call 877-738-7237 to Add a Pet to Your Current Policy
9. Schedule a grooming appointment so your dog looks the part!
10. Plan a puppy party and invite friends with dogs to get together at the local dog park for a picnic.
11. Approach an elderly neighbor with dogs and offer to walk them.
12. Make sure your dog is up to date on veterinary care and schedule a wellness appointment with vaccinations if needed.
Dogs give us so much and ask so little in return. Without a voice, it is up to us to be advocates for their welfare. Let’s take the time on March 26th to celebrate puppies, young dogs, old dogs, and everything in between!