Pet Poison: NSAID Pain Killers

nsaid pain killers are toxic to dogs and cats.Dr. Fiona is a veterinarian guest blogger for pet insurance provider, Pets Best.

Common human NSAIDs have varying degrees of toxicity to dogs and cats and should be avoided in pets.

What are NSAIDs?

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) control pain by reducing inflammation and blocking precursors to pain.

Common Human NSAIDs

The most common include:


Ibuprofen (Advil)

Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

Naproxen (Aleve)

Are There Safe Animal NSAIDs?

Yes, there are animal specific NSAIDs available by veterinary prescription. That being said, not all dog-safe drugs are safe for cats!  Never give a drug prescribed for one pet to another without veterinary advise.

Many animal medications have been flavored in order to make administering the pills easier for us.  Dogs will not uncommonly mistake these for treats if they are within reach. Even if the drug is safe for pets, an overdose can occur if too much is ingested.

Why Are Human NSAIDs Toxic to Pets?Read More…

Pet Poison: Sugar-Free Products

sugar free gum and mints are toxic to dogs.Dr. Marc is a veterinarian guest blogger for pet insurance provider, Pets Best.

What is Xylitol?

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used to replace sugar in products. It is commonly used in sugar-free gums, mints, candy and even toothpaste. Check labels and keep any products with xylitol far away from your dogs. Xylitol is a known toxin in dogs, however it is not clear the affect it has on cats.

Why and How is Xylitol Toxic to Dogs

In humans, xylitol is absorbed very slowly and has little effect on blood sugar and insulin levels. In dogs, however, xylitol is absorbed very rapidly into the bloodstream. This rapid absorption can cause a widespread release of insulin, which is what causes hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Xylitol can also cause liver failure, which may lead to bleeding problems and death.

What Amount of Xylitol is Toxic?

Very little xylitol can be extremely toxic to dogs. In a 20 pound dog, as little as one or two pieces of gum may cause hypoglycemia (0.1g/kg).

Signs and SymptomsRead More…

Pet Poison: Lilies

lily flowers and plants are toxic to cats.

Dr. Matheys is a veterinarian guest blogger for pet insurance provider, Pets Best Insurance.

Lilies are beautiful, fragrant plants with flowers that are very common in bouquets and floral arrangements. But beware, lilies can kill cats!

What Part of the Lily is Toxic?

All parts of the plant are toxic, especially the flower. Even the orange-yellow pollen is toxic and the large amount of pollen can get everywhere, including on a cat’s coat or paws where it can be ingested while grooming.

What Amount is Toxic?

Even a single bite of a flower or leaf of the plant can be deadly for your cat.

How Are Lilies Toxic to Cats?

Cats can suffer from kidney failure after ingesting even tiny amounts of the plant and flower or drinking water from the plant. Cats are very sensitive to poisoning by Easter lilies. The kidney is the primary organ affected, and cats can die of kidney failure 3-5 days after exposure.

Are all Lilies Toxic?Read More…

Pet Poison: Rat Bait

rat and mice poison is also poison for your dog.Dr. Fiona is a veterinarian guest blogger for pet insurance provider, Pets Best.

Many efforts have been made to control rodent populations and keep them out of our homes. Rat poison is effective, but can pose a risk to your pets.

How Toxic is Rat Poison to My Dog or Cat?

Toxicity depends on the type and formulation of rat poison (rodenticide), as well as how big your pet is and how much they ate. Bottom line, if you think your pet ate ANY rat poison, you should immediately seek veterinary attention.

Can My Pet Get Sick from Eating a Rodent that Has Eaten the Poison?

Yes. It’s more likely to occur if a smaller pet ate a big rat with a belly full of bait. However, dogs and cats that consume rodents on a regular basis and therefore get consistent low doses of the toxin are at risk for ‘relay toxicosis’ due to how long the poison stays in the body and accumulates.

Are All Rat Poisons the Same? How Does Rat Poison Kill?Read More…

Pet Poisons: Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs.

Dr. Marc is a veterinarian guest blogger for pet insurance provider, Pets Best.

Ingestion of grapes or raisins may result in acute kidney failure in dogs. At this time, anecdotal evidence suggests that cats may also be affected.

Signs and Symptoms

Symptoms usually begin within several hours after ingestion. Initially, symptoms may include vomiting and lethargy. This may proceed into an increase in thirst and urination, weakness or the inability to stand, and possibly the inability for the kidneys to produce urine. Once an animal has reached this state (which may occur within 24 hours of ingestion), treatment may be ineffective in reversing the toxicity and death may ensue.

Why and How Are Grapes and Raisins Toxic?Read More…

1 82 83 84 85 86 322