How to know if your cat has been poisoned

Posted by: H.R.
Pets Best Insurance Editorial Manger
A veterinarian takes care of a sick cat.
Poisoning is a common occurrence in cats, who are generally more sensitive to toxins than dogs.

In fact, some products that are used on dogs, like certain types of flea preventative, can be toxic and even fatal to cats– just another reason why it’s so important to look into pet insurance plans for your cat. Just coming into contact with toxic substances can poison them.

There are symptoms to look for if you suspect that your cat has been exposed to a toxin. A change in cat behavior is often the fist sign that something is wrong.

Once a cat ingests or comes in contact with a toxin, symptoms may not show up right away. Some toxins may take 3 to 4 days to show any effects. The types of symptoms a cat will exhibit will depend on the toxin she has been exposed to. If your cat begins to display any odd symptoms, she should be taken to the vet immediately. Having pet insurance for your cat can help to reduce some of the costs associated with emergency vet visits.

A cat that has been poisoned may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: lethargy or an overall sluggishness, vomiting, lack of appetite, difficulty walking or a staggering walk, seizure or difficulty breathing. If a cat has any of these symptoms, she should be seen by a veterinarian right away. Cat owners can sometimes overlook these symptoms and associate them with pet stress.

If you have witnessed or have evidence that your cat has gotten into a toxic substance, like pet medication, take action immediately. Even if she is exhibiting no symptoms of being poisoned, take her in.

Your veterinarian can take precautionary measures to lessen the effects of the poison on your cat.

One comment

  • thomas

    My shed cat “bogy” was a big healthy cat about 8 years old. He was well in tune with nature. he had his shots an what not, from the time he stopped eating to the time he died was about 3 days, but he did drink some. right before he died he had an oily coat and blood around the outside but not in his eyes..he was snake aware, never ahead on attack, but pester from behind, I think he my have been poisoned how can I tell?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *