Dr. Jack’s 10 reasons to spay/neuter
Posted on March 11, 2012 under Industry News
By: Dr. Jack Stephens
President and Founder
Pets Best Insurance
Spaying and neutering is as important for your pet’s health as it is your pocketbook. Some of the reasons why you should consider spaying or neutering include:
1. Spaying eliminates the possibility of your pet being afflicted with pyometra. Pyometra is a quickly-developing infection in the uterus, secondary to abnormal lining of the uterus which will result in severe pet health issues or death if untreated. Emergency surgical removal of the uterus is required and once a pet has developed pyometra it is much more expensive to treat than the preventative spay.
2. Spaying eliminates false pregnancy– a condition that mimics pregnancy and can cause painful swollen breasts, vomiting, diarrhea and weight gain. Although not life threatening, false pregnancy does require medications and medical treatment.
3. Spaying eliminates the chance of ovarian and uterine cancer.
4. Spaying, when performed at an early age, can reduce the chance of breast tumors.
5. Spaying eliminates complications from pregnancy, such as eclampsia (milk fever), abortion, retained placenta and general difficulties giving birth which may require a C-section surgery.
6. Spaying eliminates the chance of developing uterine infections.
1. Neutering eliminates the chances of developing testicular tumors or infection.
2. If done early, neutering can reduce objectionable behavior associated with hormones.
3. Neutering decrease the chances of males roaming for females in heat, which often results in fights with other males and/or being hit by a car.
4. Neutering can reduce aggression towards humans.
Or Call 877-738-7237 to Add a Pet to Your Current Policy
Ultimately, spaying and neutering helps society by not adding to the pet overpopulation problems. Too many pets end up in shelters or are euthanized because there are simply not enough homes. Spaying and neutering can also save you money in the long-run by avoiding the many costly medical conditions listed above.