Pet Insurance Blog – Pets Best Insurance
Get a Pet Insurance Quoteor call 877-738-7237

Dog swallows soccer ball

Posted on: March 22nd, 2010 by

The Black Lab had unexplainably swallowed a soccer ballWhile animal owners are known for being extremely attentive when it comes to pet care for their furry friends, sometimes they can completely misdiagnose a problem.

John Grant was noticing that his Black Labrador, Bracken, was having trouble coughing something up and brought him to the vet, according to PeoplePets.com. When the doctors gave the pup X-rays, they noticed a strange, dark object near his heart.

Veterinarians suggested that Bracken be moved to a larger facility at the University of Glasgow Veterinary School for surgery, fearing that the object was a cancerous tumor. It turned out that the object in question was actually a 5-inch soccer ball. Bracken quickly received surgery to remove the ball, potentially saving his life.

"Most definitely, if he didn’t have this surgery, he would have died," surgeon, Damian Chase, told the news provider. "It’s good that he came in, though, because this way we found out about his disorder. He’s very lucky."

Grant told the BBC that he knows his dog has developed a taste for foreign objects, including plastic bottles, stones and golf balls.ADNFCR-2720-ID-19682840-ADNFCR

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
* Name
* Email (will not be published)
Website
* Your Comment