Proctor & Gamble Company (P&G) has voluntarily expanded a recent recall to include more dry pet food because it might be contaminated with salmonella and harmful to pet health, Forbes.com reports.
Although no salmonella-related illnesses have been reported, the company opted to recall Iams Veterinary, Eukanuba Naturally Wild, Eukanuba Pure and Eukanuba Custom Care Sensitive Skin pet foods, just days after recalling some of its cat foods.
According to the New York Times, P&G recalled two lots of prescription cat food for fear of salmonella contamination, as reported July 26. No canned food or treats were affected.
A full listing of recalled UPC codes can be found on the Iams.com website.
Forbes reports the recalled products, which have the potential to be detrimental to pet health, are sold in veterinary clinics and some pet retailers in the US and Canada. P&G has instructed consumers who have purchased any of the recalled products to throw them away.
The news provider reported that that pet health and human health are both at risk, as humans who handle the food could contract Salmonella. P&G told Forbes that pet owners should wash their hands if they have direct contact with the product.
Pets who contract Salmonella may display decreases in appetite, fevers and abdominal pain, the news provider reports. Symptoms in humans include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
Consumers showing signs of illness after having contact with the products should see their health care providers and any pet showing symptoms should be taken to his or her veterinarian.
For more information or a product replacement or refund call P&G at 877-340-8823.
When Oscar Segovia and his family were asleep on an early Sunday morning, they were annoyed when Scooter, their 1-year-old Shih Tzu, wouldn’t stop barking, the Miami Herald reported.
Segovia said that although Scooter often barked, he always quieted down after awhile. When the Segovia’s finally arose, they found a car in their driveway had caught fire and quickly spread to the attic of their home.
Because Scooter woke them up during the fire, the family was able to escape safely while firefighters put out the flames. Although no one was harmed in the fire, the Segovias, now homeless, are looking to identify the specific cause of the fire.
“This car has been parked in the same place since 9:30 last night,” Segovia told ABC Action News. “…I don’t know how to explain it.”
Underwood, a longtime animal lover who used to volunteer at a local veterinary clinic, recently revealed to US Weekly that when she ties the knot with hockey player, Mike Fisher, she will definitely have Ace in her ceremony.
"It would be like if I was getting married and I had a child – of course my child would be in the wedding," Underwood said.
She added that while Ace may be donning a tuxedo for the big day, he may have a little assistance with some of his ring-bearing duties.
Underwood told the news provider that Ace would not be getting the actual ring for fear that the small dog would run off with it or even accidently swallow it—compromising her pet’s health.
Underwood, who is rarely seen without Ace, is excited to make him a part of her ceremony.
"He’s like my kid," she said.
The Americans with Disabilities Act ensures that service dogs can accompany their owners even if the facility does not allow animals- but when 5-year-old Amanda Ivancevich, entered a local store with her mother and service dog, Ellie, the store owner insisted the dog stay outside, North Carolina NBC affiliate WECT 6 reported.
According to OhmiDog.com, Ellie has the ability to alert people when Ivancevich is about to suffer from a seizure, as service dogs are trained for emergency situations and must remain in prime dog health care to complete their duties.
Owner Robert Bryant, who thought the dog was unsanitary and would mess up his merchandise, apologized for the incident after Ivancevich’s mother, Susan, garnered support from local residents to boycott Bryant’s store.
Bryant remains apologetic and has since set-up a special visit with the family and Ellie.
Humans who overcome significant trauma often become inspirational platforms for others.
A Beagle named Champ is learning that animals too can be motivational.
Upon seeing the puppy who was doused with acid by his owner, veterinarians and animal workers worked to restore the pup to normal dog health.
The puppy, who was found nearly dead with over 85 percent of his body burned, has since become a source of comfort for wounded Iraq veterans, says the website ChamptheMiracleDog.org.
Champ has appeared on a talk show and received more than 11,000 letters a day from fans who were inspired by his story, according to NorthJersey.com.
Champ’s new owner, Mike Martin, has been taking the dog to various forums to talk about how a person’s external appearance has no bearing on their good nature, just like Champ.
“This dog was wounded and he has scars left over from it, and yet, he’s still showing unconditional love,” Martin said.